Friday, February 19, 2010

MEEP ! MEEP!

Nearly halfway through my second semester back at school I have distilled down my inner motivations into an articulable direction.  For the dumbasses out there, it means I know what I want and how imma get it bitch!

I have long been drawn to natural medicince.  Homeopathy can get pretty damn hokey though and while it has some emperical support in science, much of it is too etherial for my objectives.  So I looked at oriental medicine and even took a semester of Mandarin.  Ni hao ma?  Its just not "doctor" enough for me.

Naturopathic Medicine is a scientifically evidenced system of natural and modern medicine that seems to fit my thinking.  And Arizona has the broadest scope of practice for ND's, making them primary care providers with prescribing authority and health insurance payments.

So after reviewing again the prereqs to get in and doing the cost benefit analysis comparison of the ND to the MD I am settled on the Naturopathic program.

But before I can get to the ND program I am going to obtain a MSOM (Master of Science Oriental Medicine).  Oriental Medicine is within the scope of practice for ND's anyway but the education isnt as in depth as I want and OM is likely to be my main modality so I want the best education in the area I can get.

So .... I have another two years at GCC before I begin the MSOM program, which is a four year program.  After that its on to medical school for another four years.  I guess thats my ten year plan ....

Of course there will be plenty of adventures along the way !

No comments:

Post a Comment